The Pflug was built in 1823 and has always served as a meeting point for hikers and merchants on their travels through the Black Forest. Its central location in the Black Forest, with the short distance to France, made the “Pflug” famous far beyond the borders of the Black Forest. First international fame gained our hotel in 1878 in Mark Twain’s travel report “A tramp abroad”, in which the “Pflug” was mentioned as follows:
„One day in a very pretty village (Ottenhöfen) in the Inn “Zum Pflug” we ate baked trout and then went to the restaurant to rest and smoke. There we found nine or ten Black Forest dignitaries gathered around a table. It was the local council. They had gathered that morning at eight o’clock to elect a new member, and now they had been drinking beer for four hours at the new member’s expense.”
Source: Mark Twain, “A tramp abroad”; published by Anaconda Publishing House.
At the beginning of the 1980s the Pflug was rebuilt by its former owners and got its face, as it still can be seen from the outside today.